C36 AMG, C43 AMG (W202) 1995 - 2000

has anyone changed their lower control arm bushings themselves

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-16-2005, 06:41 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
has anyone changed their lower control arm bushings themselves

has anyone changed their lower control arm bushings themselves, and if so, can you provide any pointers. i will be changing my broken bushings for a polyeurethane ones.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:02 PM

04 C320 Coupe MT
I replaced the rear lower control arm busings with Lorinser adjustable insterts. It's not easy to do, but if you have the right spring compressor and the correct press for the old bushing, it makes the job a lot easier!
Old 08-17-2005, 03:47 AM

yeah i am going to be changing out my front lower control arm bushing. from the looks of it, it is not going to be that easy. does anyone know what size torx bit the bolt that goes through the bushing is?
Old 03-20-2007, 12:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
AMG
Linuxfoo (or anyone who has done this mod)

I just ordered some poly bushings from LPD Auto Parts in Duarte, CA. Are these what you installed? Any feedback or issues with your poly bushings?

Last edited by Chappy; 03-20-2007 at 12:57 PM.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:31 PM

Originally Posted by Chappy
Linuxfoo (or anyone who has done this mod)

I just ordered some poly bushings from LPD Auto Parts in Duarte, CA. Are these what you installed? Any feedback or issues with your poly bushings?

Hi chappy,
its been some time now, since i bought those, but that name sounds familiar, the ones i bought were from ebay and they were yellow poly bushings. i would recommend you also buy the bolt kit from the dealer, there not too expensive and its almost a must. make sure to lube the bushings well, not sure if the lube that came with it was sufficient as i can hear little creaking sounds from my bushings now, when time permits, i might need to get under the car and re-grease them with better lube, so make sure to lube it well while installing. for me the hardest part was actually pressing the old bushing out, if all possible, it might be worth while to take the lower control arm once apart and take it to a machine shop for them to get it out for you. once the old bushing was out, installing new bushings was no problem.
Old 03-20-2007, 02:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by linuxfoo
Hi chappy,
its been some time now, since i bought those, but that name sounds familiar, the ones i bought were from ebay and they were yellow poly bushings. i would recommend you also buy the bolt kit from the dealer, there not too expensive and its almost a must. make sure to lube the bushings well, not sure if the lube that came with it was sufficient as i can hear little creaking sounds from my bushings now, when time permits, i might need to get under the car and re-grease them with better lube, so make sure to lube it well while installing. for me the hardest part was actually pressing the old bushing out, if all possible, it might be worth while to take the lower control arm once apart and take it to a machine shop for them to get it out for you. once the old bushing was out, installing new bushings was no problem.
I really appreciate the quick feedback! My shop will be doing the work, along with the SS brake lines I just ordered.

Do the urethane bushings work well? Any vibration on the highway?
Old 03-20-2007, 02:55 PM

I really appreciate the quick feedback! My shop will be doing the work, along with the SS brake lines I just ordered.

for me, they seem to work very well - solid, no vibrations at all on the freeway, other than the slight creak when leaving the drive way, i like them. also it might be just me and can't speak for others who also have them, but steering response seemed to improved, but them again, that might be because of many factors, such as my new tires, or my old bushings being cracked???
Old 03-20-2007, 03:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by linuxfoo
for me, they seem to work very well - solid, no vibrations at all on the freeway, other than the slight creak when leaving the drive way, i like them. also it might be just me and can't speak for others who also have them, but steering response seemed to improved, but them again, that might be because of many factors, such as my new tires, or my old bushings being cracked???
Thank you. This is exactly the feedback I'm looking for!
Old 03-21-2007, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

02 CLK 55 AMG,09 C63 loaded with P30
I did'nt know the bushings go bad. What are the signs and how long they usually last?
Old 03-21-2007, 11:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bout 70k miles they are done.
Old 03-22-2007, 12:25 AM

'02 CLK55
Well chappy, I just ordered mine too. I really don't have any problem maybe an ever so slight shake at 70 so maybe this will be that ticket. What did they quote you to install at your shop?

on
Old 03-22-2007, 05:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C43/55,2k11 Volvo S60 T6AWD,2k Audi B5 S4,95 Eagle Talon Tsi AWD 500+awhp

Chap I have them on my Talon! The car has a much tighter confident feel steering handling and all. I have the polyurethane bushing on every control arm and sway bar on the car. Remember this is my race car{Talon). I can only expect excellent results on the Benz but make sure they grease these bushings well or they will squeak and drive you crazee. Time for me to get on the phne and order mines this morning.

PS Did you order the SS brake lines from the same place?

Last edited by ProjectC55; 03-22-2007 at 05:42 AM.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by ProjectC55
PS Did you order the SS brake lines from the same place?
No. I did a Buy It Now on ebay with gforcebrakes...they're shipping from Canada. Rich bought the same ones for his cabrio AMG and told me they fit perfect.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by Zoom On
What did they quote you to install at your shop?

on
I didn't get a quote as I'm having several things done all at the same time in preparation for the AMG Track Day in Alabama next month.

- Super ATE brake fluid
- SS lines
- Install new bushings
- Remove 18s and install 17s
- Inspect brake rotors and pads, r/r as necessary
- Oil change
- Coolant flush
- Diff. fluid change
- Tranny fluid change
- (possibly) - custom brake duct cooling mod...we'll see

After the bushings are in, I'll have the car aligned and make sure the tires are balanced well.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I didn't get a quote as I'm having several things done all at the same time in preparation for the AMG Track Day in Alabama next month.

- Super ATE brake fluid
- SS lines
- Install new bushings
- Remove 18s and install 17s
- Inspect brake rotors and pads, r/r as necessary
- Oil change
- Coolant flush
- Diff. fluid change
- Tranny fluid change
- (possibly) - custom brake duct cooling mod...we'll see
After the bushings are in, I'll have the car aligned and make sure the tires are balanced well.
Excellent. tim for me to do my Spring time maintenance as well.

Gotcha on the brake lines. Now the bushings I'll assume were ordered from Ebay or straight from the Lpd Co.?

PS post links if you can again for me for the brake lines(ebay) and bushings. I'm still a lil confused as to where to get the bushings!

By the way did you read my post on the Kleemann (W208 W202) headers that came? Give me an honest opinion neg or pos! Thanx!

Last edited by ProjectC55; 03-22-2007 at 07:36 AM.
Old 03-22-2007, 07:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Excellent. tim for me to do my Spring time maintenance as well.

Gotcha on the brake lines. Now the bushings I'll assume were ordered from Ebay or straight from the Lpd Co.?

PS post links if you can again for me for the brake lines(ebay) and bushings. I'm still a lil confused as to where to get the bushings!

By the way did you read my post on the Kleemann (W208 W202) headers that came? Give me an honest opinion neg or pos! Thanx!
Both mine and Rich's bushings were ordered on ebay. At the time, there were only two sets listed, so I guess we got them both. I haven't looked to see if any more sets have been listed, but it may be just as easy to got straight to LPD to order. It looks like Zoom On just ordered some (Zoom - did you get them on ebay or order them direct?)

SS lines....do an ebay search for "Mercedes Stainless lines" and pick the ones suited for CLK. The company I ordered from was gforcebrakes out of canada. There's another one on there too, also from Canada....same price as well ($70.99). Rich is doing my install(s).

Have looked at the headers thread yet....
Old 03-22-2007, 08:55 AM

All of them!
Here's some pics

Here's pictures of my lower control arms in their current state. I had spoken with energy suspensions and Prothane about building these and sent plans. Prothane was willing with a large order. Energy wouldn't hardly even communicate and I gave up trying to deal with them. Chappy found these for me as I was resided to installing the factory ones and would have if Chappy hadn't called me two hours later. I have to get the car ready for the track meet in April.
I have a 2000 c280 in the shop right now getting some stock ones. She (the owner) laughed and told me she had planned to visit her tire store to have the tires ballanced after I told her the symtoms of these broken bushings. i get that response all the time and usually includes "I've had the tires ballanced several times and it's still shaking".

Old 03-22-2007, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Both mine and Rich's bushings were ordered on ebay. At the time, there were only two sets listed, so I guess we got them both. I haven't looked to see if any more sets have been listed, but it may be just as easy to got straight to LPD to order. It looks like Zoom On just ordered some (Zoom - did you get them on ebay or order them direct?)

SS lines....do an ebay search for "Mercedes Stainless lines" and pick the ones suited for CLK. The company I ordered from was gforcebrakes out of canada. There's another one on there too, also from Canada....same price as well ($70.99). Rich is doing my install(s).

For sus bushings!Links links!
Old 03-22-2007, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

SS lines....do an ebay search for "Mercedes Stainless lines" and pick the ones suited for CLK.
I see a listing for the C43! is there a difference?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-00...spagenameZWD1V
Old 03-22-2007, 10:03 AM

'02 CLK55

Got mind from them direct 46.00 each.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
I see a listing for the C43! is there a difference?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-00...spagenameZWD1V

Carl,

Here's the ones I ordered:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Stain...spagenameZWDVW

There are no more bushings on ebay (that I saw). You'll have to go to www.lpdauto.com and order direct.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
For sus bushings!Links links!
Sorry, none left on ebay. Go to www.lpdauto.com to order.
Old 03-22-2007, 10:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

AMG
Originally Posted by Zoom On
Got mind from them direct 46.00 each.
You saved $4 ea. over what I paid on ebay....congrats!
Old 03-22-2007, 11:02 PM

'02 CLK55
You saved $4 ea. over what I paid on ebay....congrats!
That seems backwards?
Old 03-23-2007, 11:29 AM
odj

Benzless.
where does one find the polyurethane bushings?

I've found the regular ones here at a pretty good price. Great shop too.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: has anyone changed their lower control arm bushings themselves