C-Class (W203) 2001-2007, C160, C180, C200, C220, C230, C240, C270, C280, C300, C320, C230K, C350, Coupe

Moldy smell from a/c vents

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2006, 10:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2012 GLK 350
Moldy smell from a/c vents

We live in South Florida and it is humid here. I have noticed a moldy smell coming from the a/c vents when you first start the car. Is there any way to spray some Lysol into the intake to clean this up, or should we take the car to the dealer?
Old 02-05-2006, 11:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Metro Card : (
well, before everyone says search the forum, you should take to the dealer. they have a process to rid the a/c of the smell.

it's a pretty common issue for us w203 owners - now go search the forum
Old 02-05-2006, 08:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2005 C Wagon (No snickering please!)
You can try to kill the mold in the evaporator, but even bleach cannot kill mold on a porous surface. These products are effective for mild cases:

http://www.bgfox.com/products.html?c...nce%20Services

One thing you have to do is make sure that your evaporator drain tubes are clear. Insects like to dam them up, and enjoy the flowing stream. I run a brush with a long wire handle up the tube from the bottom of the car. Compressed air also works.

If you can rent an ozone generator, put it in the car and run the blower running in recirculate for about an hour. Just be sure to let the car air out for a few hours after you remove the ozone machine.

Now, if your car is under warranty, complain until they replace the evaporator. That is the most effective way to remove mold.
Old 02-05-2006, 09:33 PM

2013 c300 4matic, 2002 c240
Originally Posted by Moviela
Now, if your car is under warranty, complain until they replace the evaporator. That is the most effective way to remove mold.
i highly recommend pushing for this especially if it is under warranty. i kept returning to the dealer to spray something into the intake. that would work for a day or so, but then the problem would reoccur. not until they replaced the evaporator did my problem become solved so far (knock on wood).
Old 02-05-2006, 10:35 PM

beep
been *****ing about this for a while... just havent gone to the dealer yet
Old 02-05-2006, 11:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
C55 ///AMG, 535xi
i hate that mildew smell, a tecnique I use... take out the air filter, spray lysol into the air vents with the heat blasting on high.... have the heat run for abt 5 mins then switch it COLD COLD COLD for abt 5 mins, then spray again, then switch to ur normal temp, this should keep u good for abt 3 weeks or so...

if you have a chance to, use a air hose and spray the AC hose under the car
Old 02-06-2006, 02:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They sell a special spray to do this but I guess Lysol would work. To prevent the a/c from getting mildew, when you use the A/C, run the cold out of it by switching off the compressor. I try to do this as I turn on my block, that way the A/C vents have a chance to warm up and reduce the chance of moisture building up inside them.
Old 02-09-2006, 01:37 AM

Originally Posted by see240wag
We live in South Florida and it is humid here. I have noticed a moldy smell coming from the a/c vents when you first start the car. Is there any way to spray some Lysol into the intake to clean this up, or should we take the car to the dealer?
I had the same exact problem and my car is new. Go see Ceasare at Mercedes Benz of Miami after 3pm. For your 1st complaint they will flush the ac lines with a deoderizer. If that doesn't work then they'll have to take your entire center console apart and replace some ac units and parts. Worked for me. Give them a call.
Old 02-09-2006, 07:56 PM

05' C230 Kompressor SS Mars Red 6speed--1990 300D 5speed
Originally Posted by Buellwinkle
They sell a special spray to do this but I guess Lysol would work. To prevent the a/c from getting mildew, when you use the A/C, run the cold out of it by switching off the compressor. I try to do this as I turn on my block, that way the A/C vents have a chance to warm up and reduce the chance of moisture building up inside them.
Yeah to help pervent the smell you should turn off the A/C like a couple mins before you turn off the car and that will cause it not to smell when you turn on the car again. If you turn the car off when the A/C is on it will smell bad when you turn it back on. Thats what iv found happening to me
Old 02-18-2006, 09:32 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2012 GLK 350
Mold is gone for now.

We took the car to Mercedes Benz of Ft. Lauderdale for its annual service. The other dealer where we purchased the car is farther away and had no available service dates for 3 weeks. This was ridiculous. The dealer put something in the system and it does not seem moldy now. We will try turning off compressor before shutting off the car. I think it caught mold by rotting on the dealer's lot in 2004 before we bought it in December.
Old 07-28-2006, 09:21 AM

05 C230wz 6M
The air coming out of my vents sometimes smells like urine...and when my car sits for a few hours on a damp day, it smells like trash when I first get in...oh, how i long for mere mustiness.

The dealer in Cherry Hill, NJ is so horrendous in every aspect that I just deal with it. Needless to say, whatever pleasant smell existed from the few strips of leather is completely gone.
Old 07-28-2006, 11:12 AM

'04 C230K
Performed Ultrasonic Cleaning Procedure

Had the same problem at 45,000 miles-

Check out P-83_30-74A FEB 05 A/C - Musty/Moldy Odors
Musty Odor is one of the first threads.

I brought my car to the dealer at a B service and complained of the musty odor they "Performed Ultrasonic Cleaning Procedure" maybe you should try that before you switch from musty to medical odor

D
Old 07-28-2006, 11:25 AM
Super Moderator

Received 718 Likes on 699 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
i used to use a spray specifically designed for this... it's about $10 or so... it's korean made, but i'm sure there are similar products made in us...
Old 07-28-2006, 01:10 PM

05 C230K SS
Originally Posted by MrdC230K
Had the same problem at 45,000 miles-

Check out P-83_30-74A FEB 05 A/C - Musty/Moldy Odors
Musty Odor is one of the first threads.

I brought my car to the dealer at a B service and complained of the musty odor they "Performed Ultrasonic Cleaning Procedure" maybe you should try that before you switch from musty to medical odor

D
Yup! The dealer also performed the Ultrasonic Cleaning Procedure on my car, and it smelled fine for a few months, but now the moldy smell is back. I guess it's time for another Ultrasonic Cleaning.
Old 07-29-2006, 12:59 AM

2005 C230K SS Desert Silver
Originally Posted by see240wag
You can take it to the dealer for the ultrasonic treatment, but you'll have to leave it overnight. They'll also check the unit to make sure that the condensation can drain and ensure that the fresh air flap will open and close according to design specs. In some cases, they replace the condenser coils.

The odor will most likely return, as it did on my car.

Wurth A/C & Heating System Treatment works well. I use it on a monthly basis. You can spray it directly into the fresh air intake and into the recirculation intake.

Here's where to buy the Wurth treatment:
http://www.autogeek.net/wuachesytr.html